Monday, November 26, 2007

Killola

I friend of mine was gushing about the band Killola recently. To be honest I had never heard of them. Which doesn't mean anything because I usually don't jump on the first wave of hype, whether it be tv, film, a good book, the 2007 Patriots, or music. My skepticism grew deeper when she described them as sort of "new wave pop" and something about Lindsay Lohan being seen with their album?

So she let me listen to a couple of their songs that she had downloaded on her mp3. (I later found out that the only way to get their album(s) is through downloads and/or ordering from their website.)

The first song was "Get Around", (I found a clip on youtube- below). Surprisingly it was more rock than pop, sort of like if Debbie Harry was fronting for Fugazi. The other song she had was titled "I don't Know". This was different than the other. It had kind of a Blake Babies feel to it.

Whatever genre you want to label this group: pop, new wave, new wave pop, rock, pop rock, punk, soul, punk rock, soul punk, high rise, low cut, bell bottom, straight leg, loose fit, boot cut, (just insert whatever label pleases you)..........

....this band is good. I don't know if they are touring, but if they come to NYC, I'd definitely check them out.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny you should mention Lindsay Lohan. check this out: http://blog.killola.com/

Killola singer sounds a little like a cross between Melissa Etheridge and the girl from Scandal.

kate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kate said...

there's some really killer interviews with them here:

http://www.uncensoredinterview.com/vlogs/list?category=80

this is definitely a band to watch. and it's cool to see them doing things on their terms.

Jack D. said...

Very cool, thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

Anonymous said...

we love you jack! you're too cute.

johnbourbon said...

i'm pretty sure an LA roomie of mind was a member of this band. actually, i know he was!

rawk!