Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Misplaced Childhood

I was born in NYC, but grew up in the heartland where as kids we were fed daily doses of Van Halen, ACDC, Zepplin, BOC, Black Sabbath, KISS, and of the course , the Southern Rock staples like Leonard Skynard and 38 Special. We were geeks I guess, but my friends and I loved RUSH. Moving Pictures was played constantly- Limelight, Red Barchetta, and the quintessential RUSH song, Tom Sawyer. Neil Peart was a god.

I remember getting ready to see RUSH in concert. I think it was the Power Windows tour? They seemed to churn out an album every year, so it could have been Grace Under Pressure, Hold Your Fire, or maybe even Presto.

Anyway, the opening band is called Marillion. We never heard of them. They were from the UK and didn't get any air play, at least where we were from, so we searched our local record haunts until we found it. The album was titled "Misplaced Childhood" and the sound was different from anything we'd heard before. I don't know if it was good, but it was interesting. For your consideration, I found this vid on youtube, regardless if you hate it or love it, you are sure to find it entertaining- the 80's look, Phil Collins kind of sound to him, the total serious attitude, and lyrics like "...when I heard the sprinkler whisper shimmer in the haze of summer lawns...".

What ever happened to these guys? I asked a Brit, Griff from BM Linx, a New York based electro rock band, about these chaps from across the pond, and while Marillion might be listed as Progressive Rock, he (laughingly) offered the term "Power Ballads". I think he's right. While I was watching, I couldn't help but think that John Krasinski (Jim, The Office) kind of looks like the lead singer?

7 comments:

It's Not Puggles' Fault said...

This is a pure gem. Interested to hear more about your musings regarding music. Your taste is interesting...

johnbourbon said...

Yeah! He's kind of like the love- child of John Krasinski and Paul Young; should they have engaged in borderline homicidal sexual relations.

It's Not Puggles' Fault said...

who's paul young? just remember every time you go away, you take piece of me with you and I wish you'd take the cheesy part

Anonymous said...

When the video first starts, before they pull back and you see he's wearing a kilt, I thought he was a Space Federation officer or something. Kudos to Jack for finding this clip- it may actually save the fucking world someday.

Anonymous said...

Sweet post. By the way, even though I agree that MOving Pictures was a good album (the last decent Rush effort) I would definitely argue that Tom Sawyer is not "the quintessential Rush song". Personally I would put Free Will or The Trees ahead of TS, but would rank both of them behind Xanadu. Just my opinion.

Jack D. said...

It's hard to argue about RUSH with someone who has "geddyneilalex" for a handle, so I'll agree with The Trees, but I would choose another song off of A Farewell to Kings, than the eleven minute Xanadu, Closer to the Heart. Now that i think ahout it, Limelight is right up there.

Anonymous said...

Closer to the Heart, huh? That's the song I sang to my fiancee Gwendolyn when we got engaged at the "Enchanted Forest" Restaurant in Gary (yes, Jack, I'm from Indiana too go Hoosiers!). But you're right, you can't go wrong with any of these tunes. Or Workin Man, if you want to get the jamma rays going.